Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Recycling update!

The greatest thing ever has happened to the corner of Olympic and Robertson. I never have to visit the crappy recycling center at Vons ever again!

But let me start at the beginning.

Several months ago, a rundown crappy gas station I never went to was closed and the area was totally curtained off from the street, hidden from view! For months, they worked on this mystery construction on the southeast corner of Olympic and Robertson. I had to pass by it everyday, wondering: What new neighborhood jewel will I be greeted with when this is done? Will it sell macaroni and cheese? Will it delight me with that frozen yogurt from Japan am I so inexplicably addicted to? Or will it just be a refurbished gas emporium? Then, after months of speculation, they unveiled THIS:

THE HELIOS HOUSE.

What is this monstrosity, you ask?

It's a gas station. But, as their billboards tout, "a little better". I will admit, upon my first drive-by, I was indifferent. What's the big deal? It's still a gas station, just with cute buttons and green glowing lights. It looks like LAX had a baby with the Disney Concert Hall. Where's my mac and cheese?

I mean, I "got it". It was meant to be like, an eco-station, environmentally beneficial, and all that. But as far as I could tell, it was still selling regular petrol at regular prices. Still bored.

Last night, as my gas light reminded me it had been glowing for 20-odd miles, I relented. FINE, I thought, I will go to your farce of an earth-friendly gas station, but only because I have to buy fuel anyway.

So I filled up Loretta with some 87 (I'm not made of money, people) and as I did, a handsome, articulate BP employee was graciously giving a couple of people a tour of the facilities.

I'm sorry, did I say handsome? Like, probably the best looking person to ever grace the full-service side of the pump.

So he is giving them a tour, and he tells them, oh, and you can bring all your recyclables here too: and indicates a recycling center right there (mind you, two blocks from my front door) for plastics and bottles, paper, etc. And then he looks up at me and says, hey, and you can too!

I certainly can!

I also did a little more investigation, and they also recycle cell phones there, the roof is made with solar panels, they have irrigation systems in place to channel rainwater for use (like we get rain in LA, but still, nice idea), the paint has reduced toxins, and the whole place is made up with lots of recyclable and sustainable materials. Still a ways off from improving the nature of what they are actually selling, it is nonetheless a step in the right direction as far as getting people to be environmentally conscious and a major improvement over what was there before.

Did I mention the gas attendant was not only well-spoken but highly attractive?

Needless to say, I will be returning to the Helios House.

Find out more here.

5 comments:

hucklebuck said...

Gotta like a girl who likes cheesy potatoes.....that is unless....she weighs 443 lbs.

Just a random passing through using the "next blog" feature. Have a good day.

B. said...

I just stumbled across your blog doing the ol' blogspot "next blog" thing. I really like it. I like it so much in fact, that I am actually writing down the address so as to better facilitate further reading of said blog (yours).

Anonymous said...

BEST BLOG EVER IN THE HISTORY OF BLOGNESS!!

I was inspired to go to the Helio Station myself after reading your blog. The bathrooms there are incredible...very fancy..and clean...with a flat, streaming sink...and an unsual toilet...felt like I was in the Museum of Modern Art...I recommend all to take a visit...and RECYCLE!

B. said...

This is excellent. I now have a foothold in Los Angeles.

Unknown said...

When this was under construction, it was concealed by a tall privacy screen with a grass print on it, much like the billboards above it now.

Once, I was stuck in traffic on Robertson and saw a model posing for a professional-looking photographer in front of it, like it was some great location.

I still haven't been here for gas though, mostly because low gas prices are all I want from a gas station, and I can't really find that anywhere right now.